Welcome..

Musician Richard Dean Wilson Jr. - Born on 1.18.1977 in the great city of Philadelphia PA.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

this guy right here saved rock and roll for me.

Joshua Homme - singer / guitarist for Queens Of The Stone Age. Why is he a topic of conversation today you ask?? Well - I'm getting really stoked about the QOTSA show @ The Tabernacle in Atlanta on 9.22 . And because my story on awaiting this band is a sad one. A story that reminds me of not only how badly I want to see this band again. But also reminds me of exactly how glad I am that my family and I moved away from South Florida this year.

It starts like this - our pal Josh used to play guitar in what has become a legendary underground band named "Kyuss". They existed from the tail end of the 80's up until about 95 or 96 I think. They never really gained mainstream success or any hit singles. But they were well know amongst those of us that went out of our way to listen to an seek out new and original rock music back in that day. And within the circle of friends I occupied - let's just say we were big fans. Fast forward to late 2002 - December I think. My best pal Randy tells me one day - "Hey - did ya know the guitarist from Kyuss has a new band? - they are called Queens Of The Stone Age.". I was curious - real curious. So about a week later I'm scrolling through the digital cable guide and I see that this band is playing on Letterman that night. It's late - I set the VCR to tape it and went to bed. My life changed the next morning when I played back the tape of Queens playing "No One Knows".

Miraculously - I heard on the radio a day or two later that QOTSA were playing at the Hard Rock Live in March. Bought tickets - 12 bucks - picked up a copy of "Songs For The Deaf" - and was hooked immediately. Saw the Hard Rock show - was totally blown away. Caught them twice that summer during Lollapalooza - in Philly and ATL - and then right after the ATL Lolla, back in Orlando for another HRL show. So I saw them 4 times within the span of 6 months, not to mention 3 times in the span of about 10 days. Amazing shows all around. I went to the Lolla shows to see Jane's Addiction at first - and the Queens stole the show both times.

So that was 2003 - The band took some time off - made some lineup changes (the always do) - and put out a new record "Lullabies To Paralyze". The tour got going - and we waited, and waited, and waited. Only to never have a single date in the state of Florida pop up. Then... finally... the guys hit the road opening for Nine Inch Nails. And on the schedule was Sunrise, FL - at an arena that was literally about 3 miles from my apartment.

Anyone remember Hurricane Wilma??? Well I do - it hit the very morning of the above mentioned QOTSA / NIN concert date. We got hit pretty good - power was out for 4-5 days, weeks in other places. No lights, no gas, no AC. And certainly no concert. It was so lame that people - including friends of mine, just started moving away from South Florida.

So here we are in 2007 - about 4 years since my last show. I moved to Atlanta this summer. And my man Josh is bringing his band here in 3 weeks. I'm super excited - more than I have been about any show in a long, long time. They have a great new album out called "Era Vulgaris". You should check it out sometime.

I'll betcha this show isn't cancelled because of a goddam hurricane !!!!!

No comments: